Facts and FAQ
- With approximately 13,000 – 15,000 members of the media in attendance, the RNC is the single largest media event in the world except for the Olympic Games.
- The Host Committee has more than 15,000 hotel rooms booked for each night of the Convention and more than 75 event venues under contract.
- The direct spending impact for the Convention will total approximately $175 – $200 million. This does not take into account the economic “multiplier” effect which can equate to 2.5 times the actual amount of hard dollars spent.
- The amount of electricity, cabling and fiber connectively will likely be the most ever utilized for any event in the state of Florida.
- The last time a Presidential Nominating Convention was held in Florida was 1972. In that year, both the Republican and Democrat National Committees held their Presidential Nominating Conventions in Miami Beach, Florida.
- Approximately 350 full-size charter buses and more than 500 private vehicles will be utilized during the week of the Convention.
- The largest lighting assembly ever hung for any event in the world was at the 1992 Republican National Convention in Houston, Texas.
- In excess of 7,500 volunteers will be activated and deployed to assist during the week of the Convention.
- The Convention is designated by the Department of Homeland Security as one of only four National Special Security Events (NSSE) to be held in 2012; other examples of potential NSSE events include G-8/G-20 Summits and the World Bank/IMF meetings.